Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Excuse me, my American slipped out.

It's really amazing to think that five days ago I was in the United States. 
I feel like I have been here for a month. 
Not in a bad way, in a comfortable way. 
I can travel on mass transit without batting an eye, order food from waitresses who don't speak English, and convert NT dollars to US dollars at break-neck speed. 
It's really a great feeling. 
I even feel like I belong. 
The only problem I have is that I am loud.
If you thought I was loud in America, it's a thousand times worse here. 
Not because I'm being obnoxious; it's just that everyone is so quiet. 
There are even rules against being loud on the bus (I don't take the bus very often... :D ) 
I find it to be a very interesting cultural difference, and apparently it's obvious from both sides of the fence because several of my students have talked or written about how forward, aggressive and loud Americans are. 
Surprisingly, one of my students said that she thought it was better than the think first approach that Taiwanese people have. 
Yet again, the grass is always greener
My class today was swell
I feel like we're really connecting, and they enjoy class. 
Two of my students even brought me out to lunch at Mos Burger! It's a Japanese "fast food" chain with delicious food.
A "rice" burger. No buns, just two slabs of rice. SO GOOD.
They like the class structure (we sit in a circle and do lots of activities), and I'd have to agree that it's working out well for both the class and myself.
That is something America really got right.
We know how to work a language classroom. 
Although I'm sure lecture works quite well for many people, time for authentic practice makes learning English real. 
Teaching in Taiwan is definitely helping me to hash out my true philosophy of teaching. 
Authenticity.
Meaningful exercises.
Even amounts of reading, listening, speaking and writing.
Fun. 
Interaction.
All of these things make a happy classroom.
I'm so blessed to have this opportunity. 
Starting up some mythology bidniss tomorrow. 
With love from Taiwan,
Lauren.
Here's proof that I drink water. 
A bottle count is in progress.
p.s. We may have gone to Pizza Hut tonight, but it's okay because I'm confident enough in my nativeness to go to an American restaurant. Oh, and it was completely different.
Obviously Pizza Hut would have guava, papaya, lychee jelly, egg pudding, and pesto...

I'll have the usual: black pepper steak, Japanese teriyaki, and sweet and sour chicken pizza.
You know, nothing out of the ordinary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment