Monday, August 8, 2011

Hi Chew, My Love.

I'm going to use the kissing principle on this post and not write a novel 'cause I'm plum tuckered out. 
Today was the first day of classes, and my class is GREAT!
We didn't have too much direction, so it was tough trying to figure out what to do, but I'm pretty happy with the way class turned out. 
I can't wait to learn and teach more! 
The best part of this whole trip is the calmness I've been feeling.
Everything just seems right. It's weird. 
In America, I feel restless. I think I will spend the rest of my life traveling and learning. 
That sounds perfect.


Now I must let you in on a little secret.
I've fallen in love.
I can't imagine my life without
Hi-Chew.
Serious.
I could write an ode to this deliciously fruity taffy-like candy. It comes in amazing amounts of flavors and every one of them are amazing (except I'm not going to try the kiwi because it looks like there is honey on it and I can't stand the taste of honey here. The bees poop some crazy tasting stuff over here. I swear they only feed them perfume.)
This evening, Dayna, Libby, Ashley and I went to an underground (literal, not black market stuff) mall. There were classy restaurants (at least that's what the sign said) and clothes shops. 
We decided to eat at a sushi place, and although I had a chicken noodle bowl, I did try Dayna's "scallop" sushi (she's pretty sure it was squid.)... it wasn't too bad once I got past the looks of it. 
Trying new food is hard!
The mall was pretty neat, but I had one heck of a headache throughout the excursion, so I was in a less than desirable mood until I chugged 700 ml (I'm not trying to be fancy, I just don't know the conversion) of water. It's amazing how dehydrated I get during the day. 
The mannequins give you thumbs up as you trot on by. Me likey.
Much fun was had mei guo ren (American) sighting and acting like natives. 
The best part was sitting next to a very old Taiwanese man on the MRT and having a "conversation" with him that consisted of approximately four English words. 
People here are so nice. 
I thought that people would be like they are in New York City because Taipei is a big city, but they are really helpful and friendly! 
It's very wonderful. 
Overall, I don't feel like I've really experienced that much culture shock except for one thing.
Toilets.
I just do NOT understand the toilets here. 
Basically, they are urinals ... in the floor. And there is nothing to help you so you just... pop a squat. 
Now, I consider myself a good country girl who has done her fair share of peeing behind trees and hills and corn stalks, but I can honestly say that until I got here I had never squatted over porcelain to pee. 
It's much more challenging than it sounds. Believe me.
Uff dah.
Luckily, there are "western" toilets everywhere, so I just use those.
I'll just leave you with that to mull over...
With love from Taiwan,
Lauren.
Class I aka the best class! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment